Thursday, April 13, 2023

"The Myth of Woke Indoctrination of Students"


Look, this would be good news if true...and so I do hope it is true...but it probably isn't. Many of these arguments are weak, and they do seem to be straining for the woke-friendly conclusion. 
   Which is not to deny that it would, to be clear, but some good news if true.
   I'll come back to this when I have more time, but, quickly: the AAUP characterization of indoctrination is confused, failing to include what is, perhaps, the most kind of indoctrination: presenting only one side of a controversial issue or given a biased account of it. Furthermore, it only seems to consider in-class indoctrination by teachers--the most egregious type of indoctrination--when much of it is conducted by student affairs in e.g. orientation (that's what my school was busted for). It relies on a couple of sophistical arguments that arise over and over on the left:
(a) All teaching is indoctrination!
(b) It doesn't work, so it must not be happening!
I could go on.
   The left is in abject denial about bias in K-12 and universities. And they've been pushing these angles for years.
   None of that means that I wouldn't be happy to find out that they were right about this--stopped clocks and all that.
   But I'm not all that hopeful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home