Saturday, January 14, 2023

Paul Ehrlich and Prophets of Doom, Past, Present and Future

I fell for the population bomb nonsense--though that wasn't the major source of my former position. I still find myself anxious about the population--my views about that simply aren't entirely rational. But, then, that could be said about any of my views, really. Yours too, probably. But my feelings about the population seem particularly resistant to evidence. So, though I don't think overpopulation is going to be the end of us...NGL...I kinda still feel like it just might be... Oh well.
   Anyway. 
   Climate apocalypticism is nuts--or so I currently think. I used to think we should just accept expert consensus on such matters. But we--or I--'ve learned that (a) you can't and (b) it's not as easy as we thought to even know what the consensus is, especially when the issue is controversial. And, with the ascendance of neo-PC / Woketarianism, we know that both scientific conclusions and reports about those conclusions are routinely distorted. So we end up having to think for ourselves about this stuff a lot more than we should have to...  Aside from all the other harms of climate hysteria, it may be causing widespread anxiety, especially among kids. And it's causing us to shoot for short-term moonshot solutions rather than the longer-term, incremental solutions that would be reasonable. This is the left's M.O.: fabricate or exaggerate a problem, spin up a story about it being a crisis, then ram through radical, left-wing policies while the iron is hot. Those policies will probably have been waiting in the wings--waiting for an excuse. The fabricated crisis is likely mere pretext...
   And finally: y'know, we will eventually run into an actual crisis... So crying wolf so often is likely not gonna help with that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home