Sunday, January 09, 2022

The Puzzle Of Pervasive Progressive False Belief: SCOTUS/COVID Edition

   One of the most puzzling current phenomena, IMO, is that of pervasive progressive false belief. Of course everyone has many false beliefs, and falsehoods are rampant among most political factions. Once you add political commitment to ordinary, nonculpable error, everything just goes to hell. But I think it's notable that progressive COVID hysteria / error extends all the way up to the Supremes. That's just weird. 
   It's also weird that universities have bought into the hysteria so hard...or, rather, it would be if I still believed that universities are loci of rationality. Which I don't. Because they aren't. Now they are, largely or even mainly, cathedrals of Woketarianism. I've almost given up trying to talk sense to my colleagues about this stuff. It's fruitless and makes me look even kookier than I actually am. I believe my university has had one death from (with?) COVID since the pandemic began. Of course the vast majority of those in "the university community" are young and healthy and not in danger. Yet we pressure them to get the vax, and force them to wear masks inside. The faculty, as usual, speaks with the voice of the extreme left--thus always clamors for more restrictions and more fear. They cannot be reasoned with. The only thing that could change their minds, so far as I can tell, will be a general shift in the progressive-left orthodoxy. Which we now seem to be seeing. So that's something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home