Sunday, November 14, 2021

Must-Read: Christopher DeMuth: "Why American Needs National Conservatism"

   I'm dragging this morning, but I'd say that about the first half of this piece, which is basically a diagnosis of our current "progressive" crisis, is great. Which is not so say it's entirely right--but I think it's really, really good. Then comes something like an articulation of "national conservatism," which is also interesting. The final few paragraphs are more speculative--more like home-run-ish suggestions about possible ways forward. I don't know what to think about those.
   One point that's in DeMuth's analysis of the contemporary progressive left is one that others have made, too--and it's a point I should (given my long history of thinking about and opposing the postpostmodern left) have seen more clearly than I have...ergh...very foggy...too lazy to try to finish that sentence in a coherent way...  Anyway, here's the point: there's a strong strain of pure destructiveness in the contemporary progressive left. It's there at the philosophical level, in the skepticism and nihilism of the movement. It's also there at the activist level e.g. in the anti-nationalism, e.g. the open-borders-ism. It's also there in the anti-Westernism and anti-Americanism of the movement.
   Anyway. Really all I have to say is: this is an extremely interesting piece. I'm not familiar with "national conservatism," though I've heard the term. So...what? So I don't know.
   Just read the thing, I say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home