Saturday, July 24, 2021

Dropping The SAT and ACT: The University Of California Is Lying To Us

link

I barely graduated high school; my GPA was abysmal. If I'd have missed one more day of my senior year, I wouldn't have graduated. (I think it was one; it might have been a couple.) But I scored in the 99th percentile of the ACT. 
Now, I attended a fourth-tier university that was, in effect, open admissions. (It was really cheap, and nearby, and my family didn't know any better, me being the first person in the family to attend college.) Incidentally: that institution did right by me, IMO, inter alia getting me into a fair number of extremely good graduate programs. So I don't mean to bash the place. It deserves significant credit. The point is just: my high ACT score was wasted.
The other point being: it needn't have been. That score could have gotten me into a lot of schools--though many of them would have been unaffordable. The next point being: standardized tests save a lot of people like me--people who were bored and contrarian and disengaged in high school, but who then flourish in college.
To be clear: the UC system won't even consider ACT/SAT scores anymore--they're not even just making them optional.
We're doing a lot of extremely stupid things in the name of "anti-racist" fanaticism. This is one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home