Friday, April 03, 2020

The Most Important Thing Is To Find Some Way To Blame Trump

Here's one more in a ceaseless torrent of attempts. When the truth comes out, it'll likely turn out that this was some kind of reorganization or routine reshuffling or something started by Obama or whatever. There'll be a retraction or correction at the bottom of page 33.
   Almost none of us know how well the administration has performed. Almost none of us have any inkling how, say, a Clinton administration would have done things differently. I'm happy for Trump to take whatever blame he deserves. I've taken a break from watching his pressers because his spastic, unfocused BS makes me even more concerned than I already am.
   But I still feel approximately like I did at the beginning of this: I'm not ecstatic that Trump's in charge. But overall I don't see that this is substantively worse than a Clinton administration. I think this is a worst-case scenario for his presidency: people who voted for him basically recognized that he'd do way less harm to the country under normal conditions than another Dem administration, and bet on there not being a world-historical catastrophe. That bet didn't work out. Now we're stuck with his apparently bumbling. On the other side is the insane progressive cultural superstructure, including the rabidly progressive media who, inter alia, think it's more important to score points for the "resistance" and fling bogus charges of racism than it is to inform us about what's going on and ask reasonable questions. I continue to think that said superstructure is a bigger, more long-term threat than Trump. But it's certainly not as clear as it used to be. If we'd had something like ordinary smooth-sailing, I'm inclined to think that Trump would have turned out to be a big win for the country--hard as it is for me to believe I'm saying that. But this is the kind of disaster that seems tailor-made for him to screw up. Of course we can't tell because most of what we're getting is MSM/DNC TDS PR... Especially from the NYT, which seems dedicated to the twin aims of (a) pumping up hysteria mostly as a means to torpedo Trump and (b) expressing its outrage that this could happen to the very greatest and most important city on Earth.
   So, while I'm not what you'd call optimistic about all this, I honestly can't tell what's going on nor how to think about it. The media issues a nonstop stream of hysterical negativity with the tacit conclusion This is Trump's fault lurking in the background. I suspect that, were Obama still president, the tone would be more in the opposite direction--Behold his heroic response...Death toll still much lower than the flu...At least we're not Italy... But perhaps not. Now, of course, we have the House Dems helpfully firing up Impeachment III: The Impeachening… So this is gonna be great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home