Tuesday, October 22, 2019

My Current General Orientation With Respect To Additional Gun Control

I used to be pretty receptive to some kind of additional controls on modern sporting rifles and high-capacity magazines. I've rarely been inclined toward bans, but I've often been receptive to additional restrictions--e.g. additional background checks, registration, and the like. That's part of the reason I gave up on the NRA when I was pretty young.
   However, as the American left has rapidly radicalized over the past six-or-so years, I've become more skeptical of any initiatives they support. Their political character has become so warped that their supporting something makes me wonder what's wrong with it.
   Currently, I'm generally inclined to think: I absolutely will not even consider supporting additional gun control measures so long as the most powerful/influential political faction in the country is becoming increasingly repressive, totalitarian and anti-rational. So long as the left (or the right, for that matter) is, for example, making a notable push to undermine the First Amendment, there is absolutely no way I'm going to be complicit in undermining the Second Amendment.
   Currently, IMO, things are going in a very, very dangerous direction.
   So, for the time being, the left has, in effect, forced me to take additional gun control measures off the table, so far as my personal position goes.
   Maybe everything will be ok.
   I fervently hope so. I'd still even bet some money on the proposition that things will be less rotten/crazy/stupid ten years from now than they are today. I certainly hope we've hit something like a low point.
   But I'm less confident about the future of the nation than I ever have been before in my life, to be perfectly honest about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home