Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Might The Democrats Save The Day?

How about this?:
The Pubs are stuck with Trump. The Dems could easily beat him with a moderate. For the love of God, just nominate someone who gets up there and says, in effect: I'm not here to make big changes; I'm here to keep the lights on, deal with emergencies, and tweak a few things where the benefits are irresistibly clear. I'm going to nominate moderate judges, I'm going to fill the bureaucracy with moderates, I'm going to moderate, moderate, moderate. I'm not going to dance to the tune of the radical, activist left.
   I mean...the real possibility of such a candidate might well have maintained my faith in the blue team. Unless the radical, activist left is lying about its view of Trump, it should happily vote for such a candidate over him. Give us a candidate who's not a crazy train wreck, and we'll be all over 'em.
   As Reynolds keeps saying: all they've got to do is not be crazy.
   How far could a candidate actually swing back toward the center after all this? Not that far, I'm afraid. But part of me hasn't given up hope.
   Suppose Warren stays on track and wins the nomination. My nightmare is a Fauxcahontas/Beto ticket. I don't think she'd pick a female running mate. But she might pick Castro to get the Hispanic vote. That's a beatable but dangerous ticket.
   I guess I'm still kinda hoping for something like: Trump wins, Trump gets impeached, Pence presidency, but he's too shaken to do anything crazy. Dems are scared straight / the Orwellian PC left devours itself and is cast into the outer darkness. Dems return to centrist sanity....  Fusion hits the breakeven point, we invent warp drive, there's a renewal of civic virtue in America...and a pony...
   I'm afraid we're really screwed this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home