Saturday, October 19, 2019

How Come Any Time We Want To Abandon A Front In The ForeverWar, It's Going To Be (A) Catastrophe[r]?

I don't understand anything about Syria.
   But I'm not so clueless as to not have noticed that every time someone tries to pull us out of one front or another in the ForeverWar, it's going to be a catastrophe!!!!111
   Look: Syria's going to be a catastrophe no matter what we do. So pointing out that us leaving will lead to catastrophe is virtually meaningless by itself. What we need to know is whether the catastrophe that will happen without us being involved is catastropher than the catastrophe that we're likely to be able to effect.
   I tend to favor using our power to try to make the world a better place. I'm no foreign policy "realist" (a misnomer, that...). But after Iraq, I became less optimistic about what we can do in places like the ME.
   Maybe Trump's an idiot or a villain for trying to get us extricated from the Syrian mess. But he's going to be called that no matter what. (And, in fact, no matter what he does about no matter what...)  And so is anyone else who tries to do it. So the mere fact that he is being called those things tells me virtually nothing. I'm willing to believe that he's done something morally or strategically disastrous. But I won't believe it until the screeching dies down and I can hear both the cases stated clearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home