Sunday, September 15, 2019

An Argument Against The Institutional Neutrality Of Libraries

   Such arguments seem weak to me, as do these in particular. But some of them are worth considering. I think there are unavoidable matters of degree in play, and favor erring on the side of institutional neutrality. I don't know the details of this case, so I can't say much about it. Libraries, like many other institutions, seem to have been colonized by the progressive left, and so seem to have the attendant tendencies. I'm not sure why the author thinks that closing the libraries on the day of the protest was...well, I'm not sure what she's saying, exactly. She seems to argue that libraries shouldn't be institutionally neutral about such cases, and that closing them was some sort of expression of such neutrality. It sounds as if the idea was really that the rally was going to be violent or elicit violence. In that case the question of whether to close them seems orthogonal to the neutrality question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home