Friday, July 19, 2019

Trump Issues Tepid/Lame/Half-Hearted Disavowal Of 'Send Her Back' Chant

Trump now says that he wasn't, like, super-duper wild about the "Send her back" chant:
   Not exactly the most inspiring rejection of the sentiment one can imagine...and couched in more claims about how AOC et al. ought to love their country more. Pretty thin gruel as such things go, I'd say. Much better than nothing...but not nearly as good as what's wanted.
   He's also obviously bullshitting about it, saying e.g. that he rushed to talk over the chant. He could easily say "Damn...that caught me off guard. I was on a roll. It made me uncomfortable, but it wasn't until later that I really realized how bad it was. I'm sure the crowd didn't literally mean that we should actually send her back to Somalia, of course. But still, it's not the kind of thing we say, even unseriously." But...that's not how Trump works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home