Thursday, October 18, 2018

Beautiful Flying Tiger P-40s


My traditional favorite fighter of the war...though I prefer later variants...dukeing it out with the Spit. Admittedly, the Warhawk can basically only be your fave for sentimental reasons...but, as a kid, I fantasized--a lot--about flying for the AVG.
   Coincidentally, JQ's grandfather (aka papou) fought the Nazis in Greece, and "did some stuff" for the CIA. His reward: they brought him to the States years later. Her dad was eight. They flew 'em in on Flying Tigers Airlines. Also kinda funny: papou and I took a completely unjustified, immediate liking to each other. That was my big "in" with the rest of the family.
   Also, well into his 70's papou went back to Greece and walked through the mountains into Albania and somehow managed to get some of their cousins out of prison...
   Sometimes, you know you're dealing with a whole different order of person. Dude was a legend, without a single ounce of pretension about it.
   Also: my friend Peter the Public Defender's grandpa was a general, and knew Claire Chenault during the war. He reported that he was "not impressed"... (I may be misremembering, and he may have said this of Stilwell...but I don't think so.) (After Pete Mack's comment, I'm going to take out this qualification.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete Mack said...

Having read the Stilwell biog by Tuchman, I doubt very much anyone was unimpressed by the man...so your recollection is probably correct.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home