Monday, July 30, 2018

Althouse: The Era of "That's Not Funny"

Some people are hot to destroy all the comedians who made us laugh by shocking us with their transgressions. I see Sarah Silverman is on the chopping block for tweeting, "Hey, is it considered molestation if the child makes the first move? I'm gonna need a quick answer on this." That was back in '09, when Obama was President, and people got the idea of a comedian posing as evil and not actually being evil. There was a word for it back in the old days. A "joke," we called it.
Humorlessness is a hallmark of the extremist left. Maybe it's all political extremism. But it's the left that's known for it. (Q: How many feminists does it take to screw in a light bulb? The most notorious A: That's not funny.)
   I'm not a big fan of "comedians," because I don't find many of them all that funny. Also: I hate being expected to laugh. Which is also why I hate Cards Against Humanity. Well: one reason I hate Cards Against Humanity... But I often find Sarah Silverman amusing--and that joke right there, that's gold, baby...gold! (Note: here's where I'm expected to say that bad things are wrong....two, three, four...)
   I know worse jokes than that that are funny, incidentally. Lots of wrong jokes are funny.
   What I like in that Althouse line is: "posing as evil." Because that's a good description of what's going on.
   A joke is an epitaph on the death of a feeling. Deal with it. But everything human is alien to them. 
   I think we should take up a collection to fund a large community of SJWs to create / occupy the most socialjusticey of all possible communities, and then peep in on it in ten years. Now that...that would be funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home