Monday, June 04, 2018

SCOTUS: Masterpiece Cakeshop Doesn't Have To Bake The Cake

Holy crap...7-2!
   I probably don't deserve an opinion about this, but it does seem to have been made on very narrow grounds to the effect that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission was biased against the baker. Three cheers for modest decisions--I'll say that much.
   As for the bigger, undecided question: egad, what a Kobayashi Maru. Discrimination against people on the basis of their permissible sexual preferences is bad. So is trampling on people's religious beliefs...especially immediately after we've just undergone an extremely radical conceptual / social / legal change of the kind we underwent with respect to (same-sex) marriage. On the one hand, I'm tempted to view our attitudes about same-sex relationships in terms of the different-race template. On the other hand, I now think that we ought to have a kind of adjustment period after such a radical social change. A few years ago I'd have flipped out at the suggestion...but currently I just don't think you can demand that people turn on a dime in such respects.
   Anyway...I'm glad that I'm not responsible for figuring this stuff out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Aa said...

I think it's less a "holy crap" and more a gutless punt. They don't want to decide the underlying issue so threw it back due to the commission using language they should not have. They did the same thing for the pledge of allegiance years ago...punted and threw it out on a technicality. I thought that it was only me thinking this, then I saw Drum commented on it also.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home