Thursday, November 02, 2017

Northam Lead Over Gillespie Narrows

It's what you'd think: people trust Northam more with respect to health care and race relations, Gillespie more with respect to taxes, illegal immigration, and crime. Those seem like the rational priors for any Dem-Pub race, and apparently these guys haven't moved things much...though Northam's advantages are a lot bigger.
   It's somewhat likely that it's Hyra for me...but my policy is not to vote if I haven't been following things fairly closely...and my semester's been such a catastrophe that I've barely paid any attention to this race. Sounds like Gillespie's taken a turn for the Trump...which is, needless to say, really too bad. I'd kind of hoped he'd be above that. A Northam win might also strike a blow for more centrist Dems... I can't recall ever not voting for the Democrat in a race of this general kind...but I'm so concerned about them now that they no longer get presumption. That's a big shift for me. But unless I suddenly find a bunch of free time to focus on this one more I'm likely to sit it out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Critical Spirits said...

Vote Hyra!

I voted Robert Sarvis in 2013 and he finished with nearly seven percent of the vote-- which was twice the margin of victory.

I'm hoping that Cliff can break ten percent in what I would conclude to be a monumental victory for the (laughably unorganized) libertarian party. They'd seemingly have no choice but to let future libertarian candidates onto the debate stage. I've not been too terribly impressed with the pay-to-play policy that debate organizers have adopted.

Plus, Hyra wants to (and I have no idea how he'd accomplish these things) privatize the VA ABC and remove restaurant food quotas, and exempt the first $60,000 of household income from taxes. I'm not sure that VA's tax and spend policies have worked-- but that might very well be because we spend our money on such stupid things.

Anyway, even if you haven't kept up with the race, you should consider Hyra because of the broader implications. Even though Northam and Gillespie are collectively better candidates than McAuliffe and Cucinelli respectively, I don't hold either one in high esteem.

And you should take my word for all this because I'm a big, bad grad student now.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

I just assumed you'd been kicked out by now

5:08 AM  
Blogger Pete Mack said...

Keep in mind that elections are not atomic consumer actions. In *this* election, you are also voting for or against Trump.

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Critical Spirits said...

With as much as I talk about CSP I'm surprised they haven't kicked me out yet.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home