Sunday, August 20, 2017

MTP 8/20/17: Two Worthwhile Segments

First, a segment with Andrew Young. I was interested to see what he had to say, as he's a guy I respect, and I wasn't actually completely sure precisely how he'd come down on this. I thought he had some really good things to say. Inspiring, actually.
   Second, a discussion/debate between Richard Cohen of the SPLC, and Mark Brey, author of a book on antifa. I haven't liked the direction of the SPLC in recent years, but I thought Cohen did a really good job (though I'm more sympathetic to his position). He basically just stated the ordinary arguments, but did so well. Brey, meh. I thought his arguments were generally pretty bad. They mostly had to do with Europe in the '20s and '30s, and I doubt their applicability to 21st-century America. He also tried to pull the standard BS lefty move that equates hateful speech with physical attacks--and Cohen called him on it. No reasonable person denies that violence is sometimes necessary in defense of the innocent. But it's crucial to try to minimize that sort of thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aa said...

They both link to the same video.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

thanks

12:41 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

fixed

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home