Tuesday, May 02, 2017

UVA Names New Building After Peyton Skipwith--Stonemason, Quarrier, Slave

   I found this short account powerfully affecting, honestly. It's sad--and difficult to believe--that is such an uncommon move. Once upon a time I spent so much time at and around UVA that the place felt like my academic home--though, since I've been neither student nor faculty there, I've never thought about donating to them. But I think I will in response to this. 
   Much respect to UVA for this.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the love of Pete, do not give money to UVA. It's a wasteful, grasping, puffed up, drain-circling institution. I say this as an alumnus, with love. For every dollar you give, twenty five cents will go to pay Lincoln Perry to paint an ugly student brochure/mural, twenty five cents will fund the committee to investigate the problematic elements of the mural, and the remaining fifty will be overhead for additional fundraising. Give money to the Louisa county public library, which is where Peyton Skipwith lived when he was enslaved.

Cav bashing aside, "Dear Master" is a fascinating book. Well worth your while if you are interested in the history of the ante-bellum South, slavery, or the colonization of Liberia.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Whoa, dude, message received! And good point. UVA, as much as I love the place, is about a hair's breadth from a private school.

I already put _Dear Master_ on my list...holy shit, the title alone has a certain impact.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home