Saturday, December 03, 2016

Vox: Organizations Tell Writers to Always I.D. the Alt-Right As Racist

   Is this ok? Or creepy? Is it true? Hell, I still don't know what the alt-right is... If it were just Vox saying this stuff, I'd doubt it...but if the AP, the NYT, and the Washington Post (which may not have such guidelines, but it's made its position on the alt-right pretty clear) all agree...I guess I'm inclined to think that where there's smoke there's fire...
   My first introduction to the alt-right was guys like Milo, who are all about poking left-wing pieties and yanking people's chains...so at first I concluded that this was just another case of lefties calling everybody to their right racist...but there do seem to be real racists in the mix...I just don't know enough to conclude for myself that racism is definitive of alt-right-ness. But since I haven't done the work of really trying to figure it all out, I expect that I'd better defer to the judgement of the AP et al.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete Mack said...

A lot of the alt right is nihilist, whether or not they are racist. I won't have any truck with that, either.

1:13 AM  
Blogger Aa said...

Well I've seen no stories of those labeled as "alt-right" running away from the racist, anti-Semitic, white nationalist etc., labels. FWIW

3:03 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, I think it's safe to say they're comfortable flirting with it, which is enough for me to say fuck 'em...

...*usually*...


....I'm just not sure to what extent there's a faction there that's mostly devoted to farbling PC pieties...

I actually think that's an important thing to do...and also understand saying, basically: fuck off, I'm not going to bend over backwards to point out at every turn that I'm not racist.

That's your craziness, not mine...

OTOH...they might really be ok with racism. In which case fuck 'em.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home