Thursday, April 28, 2016

What Is It With Beyonce Worship?

I don't get it. Neither does Drum.
One of the things I noticed when I used to frequent Metafilter--as it started becoming Tumblr for grownups and every thread that had anything to do with anything social/political began spiraling into uber-PC lunacy--was the shrill insistence among the social justice crowd that Beyonce Knowles is a genius. A GENIUS. I'm not a fan, so the worship was puzzling. But what was really puzzling was the crazed fervor with which they demanded that the alleged genius of a very poppy pop star be acknowledged. Maybe it's just that everything that is not forbidden is mandatory to those people...who knows? But this thing about Chris Hayes is in a similar vein. But Twitter in and of itself is already a bizarre thing. So I guess we shouldn't be too surprised about it being weird.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete Mack said...

You might not like her stuff, but she is, in fact, a very good musician. So, for that matter, was Prince. Yeah, they aren't geniuses in the same way as Lin-Manuela, who is enough of a genius to (a) get Dick Cheney and Obama agree on an issue, and (b) to get Dick Cheney--Dick Cheney!--to like rap music. But still. Prince and Beyoncé are among the very elite of popular music. It takes real brains to do it, even--especially--as easy as they might make it look.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Prince I completely agree with. Dude was a genius, pop-music-wise.

I don't think me not getting Beyonce means much. But I *totally* don't understand her quasi-political deification.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home