Sunday, March 08, 2015

Carolina 77 - Duke 84

   Daggum it--played pretty well, but Duke played better. One again we couldn't keep our turnovers under control. We looked confused against an unremarkable press, but mostly they were unforced.
   Still just can't quite get it all together...Berry and Pinson not quite integrated back in seamlessly, unsurprisingly. It is, of course, possible for this team to start firing on all cylinders in the tournament(s)...but needless to say, that might not be a particularly smart bet...
   I'm concerned that the UK/Duke one-and-done model might be even tougher than I thought... I don't mind a OAD or perhaps even two at the outside...but I hope we don't have to choose between going down that road and taking a back seat to UK and Duke...

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete Mack said...

So one-and-done...what's the controversy here? The students are using work to rule to maximize their potential earnings in the pros. Considering the short professional lifetime and high risk of career-threatening injury, this seems like a wise decision. And NCAA basketball and football really are pretty corrupt. (Just look at the associated salaries, and how little many students actually get out of it.)

4:01 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Sure, and I agree (though I think the NBA sucks, so I'd be at least tempted, given a choice, to stay an extra year in college...). If a kid can go after one year, he probably should. Until the NCAA provides some kind of insurance to guard against career-ending injuries, it's going to be imprudent to stay in college when you can go pro--or, at least, when you can be drafted.
I just don't want to build a team on those players. I like to watch the kids mature, and see them over a couple of years, so that's mostly who I'd like to see Roy go after. Again, some exceptions are ok--e.g. I really, really, really hope we get Harry Giles ('16). What a great, great kid, and an amazing baller. He'll be one-and-done and *should* be--his family is impoverished and lives in a bad area. He wants to get out and get them out, and there is no arguing with that.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home