Saturday, July 05, 2014

Why Are People Saying Such Dopey Things About Orphan Black?

As I've said, JQ and I didn't think much of it, but probably didn't give it enough of a chance. It's the kind of thing we're likely to give another chance...but for the love of God, why do people keep writing such dopey things about it? e.g.:
But she’s also weirdly unsexualized. Unlike The Exorcist, which has Regan masturbating with a crucifix, or American Horror Story: Coven, where Zoe liquefies men's brains through sex and Madison wreaks revenge on her rapists by using her powers to overturn the bus, neither Helena's obsession nor her revenge is sex-based. She spends a lot of time covered in blood, her own and others’, but it's never (for example) menstrual blood — kind of amazing for a show built around the trilogy of technology, religion, and female reproduction. There are no vagina dentata here, no fetishized virginity.
She spends a log of time covered in blood, but--surprise!--it''s not menstrual blood!

WTF?

In what possible world is this a surprise?

But my favorite part is really:  it's not for example menstrual blood...

For example? Really?

What, exactly, is the type of which this is an example?

Maybe I'm just cranky/overcritical... Pop culture is dumb, and pop culture writing is dumb, and none of it is really expected to make much sense...  And I usually only read about this kind of stuff in the morning when I'm trying to wake up. So I'm not exactly at my most charitable...

But come on...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home