Tuesday, November 06, 2012

The View from Planet Nooners

Where saying things in a breathy, earnest tone makes things true.

Nooners feels "vibrations"...a great disturbance in the Force? That pesky alien implant malfunctioning again? God knows. But they're Romney-flavored vibrations, she assures us.

Does she reference Chesterton? I couldn't make it all the way through.

Silver, Wang et al. could be wrong, of course...but we're seeing the epistemic orientations of the respective parties on display. For the blue team, we have: science. For the read team, we have: wishful thinking and campfire tales. We might be wrong about the conclusion, but we right about the reasoning.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Mystic said...

I find it odd that she begins her article by describing Romney as "stealing in like a thief with good tools."

12:25 PM  
Blogger Grung_e_Gene said...

3 Martinis can equal the Jedi training of Yoda.

But!

It's a TRAP!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Dark Avenger said...

Explanation for her reference here:

This are odd words to quote in reference to Mitt Romney, because when Walker Percy -- a devout Catholic -- used them in reference to his own writing, the thief he was referring to was God:

We like to say that as writers we are own bosses, but I think writers realize more than others just who really is in charge. The blank page, the moistness under the arms and above the lip, the sheer terror of Nothing Happening. I know that it doesn't come from some nook of the brain when the words start to come. I know that I'm not wrestling forth a novel, a phrase, one perfectly wonderful sentence. I know where it comes from. I can sometimes feel Him slip into me like a thief with good tools.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home