Sunday, November 14, 2010

I Solve The Deficit Problem

Sorry...this was supposed to just be saved, not published.

Here's a super-cool NYT deficit-solving doohikey. It really drives home the scope of the problem.

And here's my bumbling go at it.

Good on the Times for this. It really drives home how big the problem is...and, at least in my case, how little I know about what would be required to solve it.

Of course the new-found concern with the deficit by conservatives is the utterest bullshit, and it comes at the worst possible time. Once again, the right has basically managed to make a bad situation worse by putting party before country. Good work team. But deficit-reduction--even with bad motives and bad timing--is otherwise a worthy goal. So, when we're locked in a political battle with crazy people, I guess that's the best we can hope for.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that web-app.
It's the best interactive editorial I've ever seen.

Once you target military and medicare growth, and roll back tax levels to 1996 levels, it becomes a trivial problem.

Strangely, all these commissions seem to have an incredibly hard time doing it.

PS: I disagree with your proposal to lower Social Security payments to higher-income brackets. As it stands now, Social security is progressively scaled, and a genuine insurance model.

It's not actually a "low income tax credit", where the more you put in, the less you get out; that is much harder to defend, politically and philosophically

-mac

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home