Monday, September 14, 2009

Tent Revival, Jefferson County, MO

So as I was leaving home back in August, here's what I saw setting up shop in the town nearest to my folks place. You don't see many of these where I live now, and I just had to stop for some shots. It was butt-ass hot at the time...like 98 degrees and five thousand percent humidity...and I thought about what it was going to be like sittin' in the Book of Acts Holy Ghost tent revival that night, hearing about your sinful nature and suchlike. My folks and brother had enough sense to never get too tangled up with religion, though I went through a phase in my early teens...mostly because I was interested in a girl down t' th' First Baptist Church. Heck, I even got saved! Didn't exactly take, as you can tell, but as I understand it, having gone down front and accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior at one point in my life, I'm good to go now no matter what I do. So I could, I suppose, get raptured up at any time. Johnny Quest, unfamiliar with such things, was afraid that some Flannery O'Conneresque goons were going to come after me with axe handles just for taking pictures. The pictures really didn't come out, but here's one anyway:


3 Comments:

Blogger lovable liberal said...

I thank Gawd I never got saved! Dozens tried...

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am interested in visiting one of these. Just for the experience. Do you know where specifically in Jefferson County this was? What Church? Thanks!

1:37 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Place: DeSoto, MO. My distinct impression was that it was unaffiliated with any local church. In my experience, these tent revivals tend to travel around from place to place. As for denomination...well, Baptist is always my first guess in such cases...do Pentecosts do revivals?

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home