Tuesday, March 24, 2009

George Will Suddenly Cares About The Constitution

Wow!

What could account for the fact that he has suddenly become a scrupulous defender of the Constitution? (Even extending it by some kind of analogy to union elections!)

I just can't figure it out... What is it that happened recently that made Will care about such things? Something in the last few months, obviously.

Well, if anybody can figure out this puzzle, do let me know...


On a more serious note:

My conservative friends have nearly bitched more about Obama in eight weeks than liberals did about Bush in eight years. These folks really do have some kind of problem with democracy. Unless they win the elections, of course. A big ol' bunch of 'em simply don't seem capable of being the loyal opposition. I have to admit, it's almost made me happy to hear them scream bloody murder about things that pale in comparison to the daily outrages coming out of the Bush White House.

However...I don't want to be like them. I do want to be objective about the Obama administration and this Democratic Congress. Now, with regard to foreign policy matters, I know enough to know that e.g. the overtures to Iran are the right policy, and that conservative whining is ignorable. Most of them either don't know or don't care about our actual history with Iran, refuse to acknowledge our errors, and so forth--basically par for the course for our friends across the aisle. So long as America acts aggressively, it's always right. But with regard to the really major issues in play, the economic issues, I'm basically clueless. So, as much as I'd like to ignore politics for awhile, I suppose it's my duty to get up to speed so I can at least semi-understand WTF is going on.

One of the hardest things in all this is to remain willing to criticize Obama. After watching the vocal core of conservatism defend even the most outrageous of Bush's actions, and now watching as they spew spittle at Obama, starting before he's even elected and objecting to everything he does, it'd be easy to become a knee-jerk defender of the guy. But we can't let ourselves do that.

That is all.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out the NPR Planet Money podcast on iTunes. It's in layman's terms, for the most part, and is actually at times funny.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home