Wednesday, August 20, 2008

John McCain is an Ass

I can't believe I used to admire this guy.

McCain today: (very close paraphrase) No rational person can deny that the surge worked.

False, of course. Even the Joint Chiefs estimated that the surge only had a 1 in 4 chance of working. And, of course, we're in no way sure that it did work. McCain argues, post hoc ergo propter hoc, that the surge is responsible for the decrease in violence, but that's an entirely unproven hypothesis. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a respectable hypothesis--but to say that no rational person can deny it is unmitigated bullshit.

And, again: even if this counts as a small strike against Obama's judgment, it's nothing compared to McCain's support of the war. The war was unjustified, clearly unjustified, and of great consequence, ergo McCain's support of it was a major error in judgment. The surge was a long shot, the effects of which are not entirely clear, and so it cannot form the basis of any significant argument against Obama's judgment.

It's too bad that McCain has descended into the depths of Rovianism. I hope this despicable bullshit will fail this time. Though it succeeded in 2000 and 2004, so I'm not as optimistic as I'd like to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home