Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Is 'Elitist' The New 'Uppity'?

Man, Obama just keeps impressing me.

You probably heard the guy today at the Obama function saying that he thought that when Clinton calls Obama an elitist, she's getting dangerously close, in the context, to calling him uppity.

As soon as I heard this I thought something like:

Hmm...maybe there's something to that...not exactly...probably not what she meant, right?...but given how vicious and unfair her attacks have been, and given how readily her people have cried sexism...maybe Obama should use this line and give 'em a taste of their own medicine...

And as I'm thinking this, Obama responds, saying that, no, he didn't think there were any racial overtones, he thought it was just politics.

Man. I mean, I kind of pride myself on being able to be honest enough to pass up cheap shots like that, but I was still wavering when Obama just shot it down without a second thought.

It's not like I don't have my doubts about the guy, because I do. I've got my doubts about every politician. But Obama just keeps impressing me. Thing is, much of the time is just because he's ordinarily decent and honest--something many of our other politicians can't seem to manage.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

It's not Obama's style to make charges of racism directly. He's much sneakier than that.

He impresses me, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/12/obama-camps-memo-on-clin_n_81205.html



Obama Camp's Memo on Clintons' Politicizing Race
January 12, 2008 01:15 PM


Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign has prepared a detailed memo listing various instances in which it perceived Sen. Hillary Clinton's campaign to have deliberately played the race card in the Democratic primary. [See the full memo here.]

The memo, which was obtained by the Huffington Post and has been made public elsewhere, is believed to have been given to an activist and contains mostly excerpts from different media reports. It lists the contact info and name of Obama's South Carolina press secretary, Amaya Smith, and is broken down into five incidents in which either Clinton, her husband Bill, or campaign surrogates made comments that could be interpreted as racially insensitive.

The document provides an indication that, in private, the Obama campaign is seeking to capitalize on the view - and push the narrative - that the Clintons are using race-related issues for political leverage. In public, the Obama campaign has denied that they are trying to propagate such a perception, noting that the document never was sent to the press.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home