Thursday, February 28, 2008

Charles Stross: The Atrocity Archive

Finally, I've got a hold of some weird fiction I really enjoy. The Atrocity Archive by Charles Stross. Really excellent, according to me. Not exactly horror, not exactly sci-fi...kinda H. P. Lovecraft meets Niel Stephenson. Toast also has some good stuff in it, but it isn't in the same league. I'm also 9/10ths of the way through Iron Sunrise, and just now realizing it's a sequel. Duh. Got The Jennifer Morgue on the way.

This guy has cool ideas and he can really write (for a sci-fi author, that is). I write a little fiction myself, and I was disappointed to see that he'd scooped me on several ideas...and done them better than me. Damn, I hate it when that happens!

Anyway, Charles Stross: Philosoraptor sez check him out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Myca said...

OOH! OOH! CHARLES STROSS! YAY!

Also, read Glasshouse!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Myca, you are such a nerd...

11:11 AM  
Blogger Random Michelle K said...

My husband likes all Charlie Stross's stuff.

He has Accellerando and Singularity Sky.

I think my grandmother (who likes SF) enjoyed them as well.

You may also want to check out John Scalzi as well.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Myca said...

Myca, you are such a nerd...

Word, Winston.

Word . . . to your mother.

---Myca, who literally 15 minutes ago picked Singlarity Sky up from the library.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

It's like a closed sci-fi nerd loop around here...

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like weird fiction, have you read any China Mieville? I've read Perdido Street Station and The Scar; the former is one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read, but the second is a pirate novel that basically only treads water. Thanks for the recommendation!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

S--
Never even heard of her, but will check her out.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home