Friday, January 13, 2006

The Waterworks

Um, is the most important thing that emerged in the Alito hearings really that his wife started to cry? I find this a bit hard to believe, but that's what was getting most of the airtime on CNN etc. I didn't see that part of the proceedings, so I don't know what was going on. Perhaps the Dems were being truly vicious and/or unfair...but in that case it should have been the viciousness or unfairness that was the story.

Anyway, my heart sank this morning when I heard one of the talking heads say that the buzz was that "Mrs. Alito's" weeping was going to cinch the deal for him. Call me crazy, but this just doesn't strike me as a good reason for putting someone on the SCOTUS.

4 Comments:

Blogger matthew christman said...

Um, it wasn't Democratic grilling that made Mrs. Alito cry. She started tearing up and walked out during Lindsay Graham's questioning. He was recounting charges leveled against Alito of being a bigot (that CAP shit sure seems like naked bigotry to me) in order to knock them down.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Yeah, I just read that.

But the Dems had made the charges previously--or similar ones.

2:24 PM  
Blogger matthew christman said...

Yeah...so? If these charges had been made in the past by Democrats, and Mrs. Scalito had presumably heard them and processed them, how the hell is it their fault if Mrs. Scalito starts crying during a Republican Senator's recounting of said?

9:33 PM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Well, as I said, I don't think her crying is relevant. What's relevant is whether the Dems had been unfair.

It also matters whether Graham was accurately representing what the Dems said in the past.

But if the Dems were truly unfair and Graham was accurately rehearsing their claims, then, though it's Dem unfairness that should be the real story, focusing on her crying isn't really missing that real story by much.

That's a lot of 'if's, but, as I said, I didn't see enough of what was going on to know whether the antecedents are true.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home