Thursday, September 08, 2005

Philosoraptor's Car Wreck

Warning: boring personal post.

Got in a car wreck first thing this morning. The other car blatantly ran a red light--probably trying to make it through the ultra-super-tail-end of the yellow light...damn I hate that shit. I was able to turn the nose away at the last minute, and so what would have been a T-bone turned into something rather less than that. But my trusty '95 Taurus, The Indestructable, the Great White, is rather clearly totaled. The impact was on the driver's side door, and now the door doesn't quite close...and you know what body work is like.

But no injuries, and a witness stopped to give me his card, so it should all be cool. The folks who hit me seemed to be immigrants--they spoke only Spanish and this is an area with a large immigrant population. I wanted to tell them that my friend Peter had practically given me the car anyway, and that I'd gotten way more than my $750 out of it over the years, but there was no way to get that across. And the car has a degenerative brake condition anyway.

But now I face a dilemma. Having gotten more than my money's worth out of the car, recognizing that its demise was looming anyway, and not wanting to make life more difficult for people whose lives may be difficult already (though their car was a bit nicer than mine, I should add), I have some inclination to not even report it to their insurance. On the other hand, the guy pulled a an incredibly *$*#*&$ing bone-headed move that could easily have hurt somebody, and I don't think he should get off scott-free for that. Furthermore, his insurance company is Nationwide, and I think that was the company that screwed me over when a tractor-trailor ran a red light and obliterated my '76 Nova back in grad school...

One option would be to submit the claim to Nationwide and give the money to Katrina relief in Peter's name. Another, of course, would be to submit the claim and get a new friggin' car...or part of one... But Johnny Quest and I have been talking about down-grading ourselves to a 1-car duo anyway. Don't want to be greedy here.

Anyway, after getting hit by a truck while biking this summer, and now this, I'm starting to think that the road might be a more dangerous place than I thought...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Winston,

Did police respond to the seen? Is the total value your car more than $1000? The incident should be reported both to the police and your own insurance company, in case Nationwide contests liability. Also, the fact that the other driver has an insurance card does not mean he has paid all his premiums. Coverage may have lapsed. If the driver of the other vehicle has insurance in force, the financial impact for him will only be paying more for his renewal. There is no deductible for liability claims. Donating the proceeds of an insurance recover to Katrina relief is noble.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Thanks for info, DLev. Five-Oh was there within about four minutes...also a firetruck! Wheee! So the police saw what was up, and the witness gave me his card. I'm sure there's no way to fix the car for less than $1000. But now I keep imagining fleeting neck pain and stuff... My ex-wife's life was ruined by a neck injury from a wreck little more severe than this b/c the insurance refused to pay her medical bills. Egad. But I'm sure that's not going to happen in this case...

10:35 AM  
Blogger Aa said...

Winston,

It was clearly the other driver's fault so regardless of the identity of the insurance company I would report it. That is what insurance is for.

~hbr

2:13 PM  
Blogger Tom Van Dyke said...

There's no downside in accepting justice (Old Testament), but if pursuing it drives you nuts ("If a man take your cloak, don't ask for it back," New Testament).

I'm a headhunter for lawyers, and even one of my lawyer pals screwed up his life with a lawsuit about his home. He shoulda known better.

But when Jesus said "turn the other cheek," He didn't say pretend it didn't happen. "Offer the other as well." Not the same thing as suffering in silence.

Even taken non-religiously, it works out karmically too. It's cool by any moral system I'm aware of to let somebody make things up to you.

Boy, this blog is sure quiet without TVD to kick around. :-)

Altho mildly insulted by yr last response re the vulvatude of Gen. Wesley Clark (ret.) (nuff said?), I would not take off in a huff. Folks like me are generally like that.

'Twas a family emergency. Would offer other cheek before kicking dust off shoes.

Love, as always,
TVD

1:17 AM  
Blogger Winston Smith said...

Good to have you back, tvd, and glad to have you back.

I sincerely hope the family emergency ended well.

Re: Clark:
What I don't understand about conservative grasping at straws Re: the Pristina airport, is that...well...it's grasping at straws. Clark's move was bold yet rational. A brilliant calculated risk. But American conservatives seem to only countenance violence when it's radically ill-advised and when our opponents are cupcakes. So I guess I CAN see why they get they petticoats in a wad about Clark...

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

progressive car insurance quote <= Auto Insurance deals and more...

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog! I plan to bookmark it for future posts. chiropractic for back pain

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home