Friday, December 03, 2004

Medal of Freedom Follies

Back in the day, I thought I had somehow stepped through the looking-glass when I heard that Ronald Reagan had awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom--allegedly America's highest civilian honor--to Frank Sinatra. Could this be for real, I wondered? Could our highest civilian honor be so inconsequential as to be deserved by someone whose greatest distinction was that he was a popular singer? (Not to mention a notable asshole?) Believe it or not, I think about this from time to time. It still makes me kind of ill.

Well, W's announced the 2004 winners of the medal. Apparently, the people most deserving of our highest civilian honor include Doris Day and Rita Moreno (entertainers), Arnold Palmer (a golfer), Gordon B. Hinckley (President of the Mormon Church), Estee Lauder (a make-up/clothing merchant).

I'm not even going to complain about Walter Wriston, Norman Pohoretz, or the Pope. I might not be too happy about those, but at least they aren't embarrassing...

You know, have no idea who Carter and Clinton gave such awards to...I actually have a feeling that I don't want to know...but it'd be kind of interesting to see whether their awardees were quite as lame as Frank Sinatra and Doris Day...

My nominees for next year:

Carrot-Top, noted entertainer and social critic
P Diddy, noted entertainer and boffer of J Lo
J Lo, noted entertainer with notable butt
The Unknown Comic, noted unknown comic
Right Said Fred, noted freaks
Whoever Those Folks Were Who Sang That "Macarena" (sp?) Song, Noted singers of "Macarena" (sp?) Song

Maybe we could also find the inventor of the Pet Rock...and how about Michael Bolton and Kenny G? How come THEY aren't getting this award? Perhaps Donald Trump, or Bob "Gilligan" Denver? Maybe Kenny Boy Lay should get one. Apparently Julia Child got one (note: not making this up)...so why not the Emeril guy? Oh! Or that nutty dude from The Iron Chef! That'd be AWESOME...

God, is our country really this pathetic?

[Note: this is obviously a job for Norbizness... Somebody needs to get him on this...]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home